The surface of the Sun - Granulation

The grainyness you see in this photograph is called granulation, and is called by the convection, or `bubbling' of the sun.

The animation to the right shows this effect. (1.2M MPEG, download only).

How large do you think each cell is? The size of a football field? Or Manhattan? Or France?

Click on the image to find out..